July Lawn Care Guidelines for Oklahoma
- Divide and replant crowded hybrid iris (bearded iris) after flowering until August.
- Apply preventative white grup treatments—late June to mid-July (Merit, MachII, GrubX)
- Expect some leaf fall, a normal reaction to drought. Water young plantings well.
- Mowing heights for cool-season turf grasses should be 3” during hot, dry summer months. Gradually raise mowing height of bermudagrass lawns from 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
- Vegetative establishment of warm-season grasses should be completed by the end of July to ensure the least risk of winter kill.
- Brown patch disease of cool-season grasses can be a problem.
- Meet water requirements of turf.
- Fertilization of warm-season grasses can continue if water is present for growth.
- The hotter and drier it gets, the larger the spider mite populations become! Spraying plant foliage will provide partial relief of this pest.